Request Call Back

Free Case Evaluation

Obtaining a VISA for Belgium

Obtaining a VISA for Belgium

Updated on Monday 09th May 2016

Rate this article

based on 1 reviews

Obtaining-a-VISA-for-Belgium.jpgEntering Belgium

EU citizens who wish to enter the country do not need to obtain a visa for Belgium. This applies for short stays of up to 90 days. These citizens need to present a valid ID card or passport in order to be allowed to enter the country. Third-country nationals are subject to visa requirements in Belgium, depending on the duration and scope of the stay.
The representatives at our Belgian law firm can help you with detailed information about visas for nationals of third countries and those for European Union citizens.

Belgium visas according to the purpose of stay

The types of visas in Belgium are issued according to the scope of the visit or stay. Short stay visas (for up to 90 days) are given for:
- tourist visits;
- visits to family and friends;
- business trips or trainee-ships;
- cultural or sport events;
- Schengen area transit.
Long stay visas, known as D type visas are required for stays of more than 90 days and they can be issued for employment in Belgium, for studying in the country or other purposes. New employees in Belgium will need to provide a valid employment contract and students will need to provide proof of registration to a higher education institution in Belgium. New students will also need to provide additional documents, medical certificates and proof that they can sustain themselves in the country during the study period.
If you need help applying for college in Belgium or need assistance for employment in the country, our law firm in Belgium can provide you with the adequate help.

How to apply for a visa in Belgium

Applications for Belgian visas are made to the local consulate or embassy in the foreigner’s country of residence. The application is submitted in person, although certain exceptions can apply. If there is no embassy or consulate of Belgium in the country where you wish to submit an application, you can do so at the embassy responsible for the country (in a neighboring country).
The application form is accompanied by additional relevant documents. Starting with 2015 a new contribution is applicable for long stay D-type visas and it must be paid to the Immigration Office in Belgium.
For more information about living and working in Belgium, including immigration in the country you can contact our Belgian law firm.